Tuesday, December 2, 2014

How Do you Put The FUN in Dysfunctional?



It’s that holiday season again and when was the last time it was filled with rest and relaxation? For me, I think it was elementary school but perhaps I’m just remembering a gentler time. In the December issue of NorthernConnection magazine’s ‘Starting the Conversation’, I asked for much needed advice on how to put the FUN in “dysfunctional”. How do you create a balance among everyone who wants your time? Do you eat two dinners? Do you take annual turns? What have you found that works for you and yours to make the holidays "fair"?

2 comments:

  1. This is always such a hard time of year. I know my husband and I are always stressed with trying to be "fair" with both of our families. We typically do Christmas Eve with one family and Christmas day with the other family.
    My sister and family live in Virginia - her side lives in Pittsburgh and his family lives in Mississippi. She splits the holidays each year. So if she spends Thanksgiving with us in Pittsburgh, then she will go to Mississippi for Christmas. The holidays are truly an exhausting time of year and I have also discovered that I can't make everyone happy so we just try to do what we feel is fair and what makes us happy. Merry Christmas and good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura for this great post and advice! My husband and I take some liberties with the calendar and actually celebrate out-of-town with in-laws a week or two before Thanksgiving - airfare is so much cheaper than traveling over actual Thanksgiving weekend. Thanks again and be sure and post again if you have any other examples to share!

      Delete