Tuesday, September 1, 2015

What do you think of the Cursive Controversy?



Is writing in cursive a thing of the past? In this month's issue of Northern Connection magazine, I point out that schools today just don't have the time to teach both cursive and keyboarding so they have been put in the difficult position of choosing the future over the past. Understandable, until you spend some time with the younger generation and realize that they can't read your writing - no matter how good or bad your penmanship is.

What does this mean for future generations? Are we cutting them off from the past?

And what does this mean for the whole industry of handwriting analysis?

As always, I am interested in your thoughts on the subject! Please leave your thoughts in the comments section below:

2 comments:

  1. From a reader: I read your article in the Northern Connection, September 2015 issue.

    Well, when I learned cursive in grade school, I was very good at it. I even
    got an achievement award, or an outstanding award, for it. I love to write
    cursive.

    So, when my daughter came and entered school, she learned cursive a little
    bit in the Catholic school. And, they told her, then, that she can print
    from here on in.

    Yes, her schools have computers, and she loves them. She is now in the
    public schools, and there is no sign of cursive in her classrooms.

    I am disappointed, because she will be computer literate, and not know the
    fine "art" of writing. I know she has trouble with spelling, and her
    printing is sloppy, but she likes to get her ideas across. She is a good
    thinker.

    I think that the children of today don't have all of the "art" or the
    craftiness of using a pen and pencil to get their ideas across. They are
    more visual, and more "hands on"
    for that computer to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A reader shared with me this story from Fox News about a 7 year old student that got in trouble for signing her name in cursive!

    http://www.fox13news.com/trending/23798511-story

    ReplyDelete