Friday, August 2, 2013

A Lifetime of Learning

In the August issue of Northern Connection magazine, I started the conversation regarding my desire to embrace a lifetime of learning. In the article, I mentioned that I’ve noticed that it has been awhile since I have learned anything totally new and outside the realm of my job and so I intend to go in search of a new learning challenge.
One of the things that I have been considering learning is a foreign language. I’ve noticed that when I travel to foreign countries, the citizens appreciate any attempt at the language no matter how badly it’s butchered. So, I’ve decided to take a look into learning conversational French since my husband’s company is in Canada and I had some French in High School. To get started, I looked up some software and had a bit of sticker shock – Rosetta Stone® software, designed to teach you the foreign language of your choice is almost $450 – ouch. So I asked around and my father-in-law has been teaching himself Spanish through “Instant Immersion”® software which he thinks is phenomenal and only costs $50 and there are frequent sales for less at Amazon.com. Also, dear friends of mine are planning a vacation to Paris for their twentieth anniversary and they really enjoyed their French class through CCAC and they practice together as they sit on the porch every evening after dinner. How romantic is that!
                Another thing I’ve been considering is to attend more guest lectures. It is just an evening out and not a huge commitment so it should fit conveniently into my schedule. My local library is Northland Public Library and it has has lots of interesting events and lectures, one of particular interest to me is an up-coming presentation about the Battle of Gettysburg in honor of the 150th memorial anniversary.

                Do you have any other suggestions for me and our fellow readers, to help us embrace a lifetime of learning?

5 comments:

  1. I think learning a new language is an absolutely perfect idea! I myself attempted to learn a bit of Italian last Christmas as a hobby. Unfortunately, in this day and age everything costs money. Items which can help and enhance certain skills, such as Rosetta Stone, are particularly pricey. I recommend heading out to the library and attending some of their adult programs, and I also think there is quite a bit to learn online as well. My new hobby is finding crafts on Pinterest. I love Pinterest because members can share their talents and ideas with each other--rather than something being a one-sided conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacie - Thank you so much for the advice - yes my library would be a great resource for my foreign language quest. I love Pinterest as well - perhaps Northern Connection should have a Pinterest presence - what do you think?

      Delete
    2. I definitely think a Pinterest presence would be great for the magazine. I know I'd follow!

      Delete
  2. I've attended presentations at Northland Library on everything from Indian and Chinese cooking to trolleys in Pittsburgh--they are great ways of connecting with people or exploring subjects with those you already know. Explore all the libraries around you for programming--you don't have to live in their service area to participate.

    This fall I am taking an intro to improv class. It's out of the box for me but improv teaches you so much including thinking on your feet, public speaking, confidence and all while challenging yourself and having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deanna - Thank you so much for the advice - I'd didn't know you could sign up for programs at libraries outside of your area. Now, I am really limitless in the boundaries of my search. I also applaud you for taking the improv class - how cool is that! I love watching the television show "Who's Line Is It Anyway" http://www.cwtv.com/shows/whose-line-is-it-anyway. I am always so impressed by the skill and talent of the participants. Good for you!

      Delete