Monday, March 3, 2014

Do You Believe in True Love?


In the March issue of Northern Connection magazine’s “Starting the Conversation”, I mentioned that I love stories of true love especially stories of a love that has withstood the test of time.
Specifically, I shared the story of former talk show host Mike Douglas and his wife Genevieve and her advice to me not to be too clingy when my hubby is busy with work or with the public (which was excellent advice since my husband is a public speaker). I also told the story of Roy Rogers and Dale Evens, television and film stars that believe in the 70-30 rule: where you each promise to give 70% and only expect 30% and that way, the marriage will feel more even and balanced.
What do you think of these stories? Do you have a story of true love you’d like to share?

I’d love to hear from you, post your comments, thoughts and stories in the comment area below:

3 comments:

  1. A reader, who did not wish to post directly, sent me her story of true love. According to this particular reader, [she] did not know true love until her Grandchildren were born. [She] loved her husband and her children but … [she] did not know complete joy and unconditional love until the moment [she] held each Grandchild and welcomed them into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was an extremely fortunate child because I was able to see true love by being a witness of my parent’s marriage. They always told me that you cannot smell what someone is thinking and that is so important to communicate your feelings and thoughts. Just one story, I remember when I was about 17 years old, my parents and I went to dinner and my dad reached across the table and grabbed my mom’s hand, it was the most natural thing and they held hands for about 5 minutes. I don’t think they realized they were doing it; it was like they were just an extension of each other. From that day forward I promised myself that I would not settle until I found what they have. This past year, my parents celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary in Hawaii and I celebrated my marriage. (And they still hold hands.) I found the guy that I was not settling for and when my husband casually reaches across the table to hold my hand, I am always reminded of why I waited and that I was lucky to find my true love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story! Thank you Laura for sharing it. You made me all misty-eyed!

      Delete